This question was posted a few months ago on the facebook group by Leah. I forwarded the question on to Danielle Crull, a master optician who specializes in children’s glasses. Here’s the original question, and Miss Danielle’s answer. -Ann Z
Does anyone have difficulty with a flat nasal bridge? Nolan’s glasses sit too low because he has a depressed nasal bridge, and he looks over the top of his glasses a lot. He has amblyopia and we’re trying to avoid patching, but since he almost always looks OVER the lenses, I doubt the glasses are doing much good! Any suggestions??
Answer from Danielle:
“I definitely understand a parent’s frustration with glasses slipping down on children with flat bridges. In fact, most kids don’t have much of a bridge at all. First of all, it’s important to know that in a properly fitted pair of glasses the nose holds about 90% of the weight of the glasses. The other 10% is distributed behind both of the ears. So when your child has a very flat bridge or very small bridge, we need to make sure that the ears have the right size temples fit behind them. To help with that, you can have your child fit with comfort cables. The comfort cable will carry more weight of the frame behind the ear and then distribute it evenly around the entire ear, keeping your child from getting marks behind his ears. Frames that have two seperate nose pieces give the best possibility of fitting well on a flat nose bridge. It is also important that those nose pads stay in adjustment or the glasses will begin to slip down. That means you may need to get more frequent adjustments! Again the comfort cables will hold the gap when the nose pieces get bent out, minimizing the slipping.
What I’m trying to say is that it may not be the way the bridge fits as much as it is how the temples fit. Parent’s should make sure that both the temples and bridge are fit properly and don’t be afraid to go back in when your child get’s their glasses a little askew :)”
. . .
Leah sent a follow up note to say: “We found that her advice is perfect – we have cable arms and they are snug enough to help with the ‘slippage.’ He also has the saddle-nose bridge piece. We had to get wire frames to fit alongside the hearing aids, but everything is fitting together very well now!”