Recently, Zoe had an eye appointment and we heard something we’d never heard before: “come back in a year.” A year?!? Zoe has never in her life gone a full year without an eye appointment (her first was at 9 months old). It’s thrilling and a bit scary all at the same time. Her eye doctor explained that now that she was nearly 8, many of her visual pathways had matured, so the chances of developing amblyopia again are very, very small. Certainly we will bring her in if she’s having trouble seeing, but otherwise, we’ve graduated to yearly eye exams!
It got me thinking of other milestones that you might get to celebrate if you have a young child in glasses, patches, or contacts (not all kids will have all the same milestones, and they won’t all happen in the same order).
- The first day she goes the whole day without taking her glasses off
- The first day he asks for his glasses without prompting
- The first year a pair of frames make it without being broken
- The first year you go without a change in prescription
- That appointment when the doctor says you don’t have to come back for 6 months
- That appointment when the doctor says you don’t have to come back for a year
There’s patching ones, too:
- First day she goes patches for the whole time without complaining
- First week of patching (you all survived!)
- That appointment when the doctor says you can start weaning off the patching
- That appointment when the doctor says you can stop patching
There’s some eye test ones
- First appointment when she was able to use an acuity chart (even if it was with symbols)
- First appointment when he was able to read the chart with letters
- First appointment when she got to do the “which is better, 1 or 2?”
- First appointment when she could get her eye pressure read without doing an EUA
And some for contacts
- First day you got the contacts in without tears
- First day you got the contacts out without tears
- First day she put her contacts in by herself
What other milestones have you hit with your child? And what milestones are you looking forward to?